Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Day to Day

So, it has been months since I have blogged. Now that I am back in school, I feel the need to try and spread a positive message.
This is my 7th year subbing. Yes, that's right. SEVENTH.  I have 6 full years in with a school district. People have asked me "why don't you just give up and go get a full time, secure job some place else?" and "isn't that frustrating?"  To some people those questions may sway a person's decision to stay in the field.  As for me, I love teaching.  It is frustrating to be back day to day.  But I am not going to look at this as a negative.  If anything, I am very lucky.  There are not many people with a college education that are able to say that they work in the field from which they graduated.  Not to mention, that I still bring home a paycheck.  There are so many teachers getting laid off because of budget cuts and then they have nothing.  I can say that I go to work, and work in the field that I love.
There are substitutes that I work with that are feeling so down on themselves for not being hired yet.  The part that they need to realize is, it's not their fault.  Our district has a problem... it has A LOT of really good subs.  Now, if you ask me, if you're going to have a problem then that's the one to have!! We have very qualified teachers that are still subbing day to day.  I try to encourage everyone by reminding them that this is a state wide problem, not just in our district.  I know it hard financially and emotionally.  We just need to try and stay positive.  I am currently working two other part time jobs aside from subbing to try and keep up with bills.  But am I the only one? Absolutely not! There are millions of Americans trying to make ends meet.  Being negative on ourselves and being upset that we aren't contracted yet isn't going to bring that contract any faster. 
Since I have am a huge fan a Randy Paucsh, I need to bring up some of my favorite quotes from him.  We are hitting a 'brick wall.'  That wall is going to keep out the people that don't want this job bad enough.  We need to take on what life brings us as an experience.  "We can't change the cards we are dealt, just how we play that hand." (The Last Lecture)

No comments:

Post a Comment